SA soldiers took on overwhelming numbers in CAR fire fight – SANDF Chief
Written by Kim Helfrich, Monday, 25 March 2013
“It is not for the SANDF to decide when to come home or not and we do not run away. Our soldiers are still in the operational area waiting for the next call,” he said at a media briefing in Thaba Tshwane following heavy fighting in and around the CAR capital of Bangui at the weekend.
About 200 of the South African protection contingent engaged more than 3 000 rebels, armed with assault rifles, mortars and heavy machine guns, in a prolonged 19 hour fire fight, interrupted by two truce appeals. The fire fight had its origins near Bangui Base where the South African soldiers had set up an ambush. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of opponents they withdrew and regrouped in readiness “for the long haul” Shoke said.
“Sadly we lost 13 soldiers, with one still missing in action and 27 were wounded. But we as South Africans must be proud of them all. They performed outstandingly, doing the work they trained long and hard for and all are a credit to both the country and the national defence force.”
He said a good indication of the way the South African soldiers stood up against a massively superior force in number terms was that the rebels came seeking truce under a white flag.
Asked what lay ahead for the SANDF contingent in the troubled country Shoke said they would stay and do the job they had been tasked to do - protect South Africans and South African assets – until orders to the contrary were issued.
“We do not run away,” he declared.
All the wounded personnel have already been safely evacuated to 1 Military hospital in Thaba Tshwane while others, with light injuries, were treated in theatre and are ready to take up arms again, if needed, Shoke said.
He would not be drawn on the logistic trail to keep the South African soldiers properly supplied with ammunition and other essentials, including medical supplies, other than to say: “We have done it so far and will continue doing it”.
“Protection of our people is our top priority and it will be done,” the tall and authoritative four star general told media representatives.
“I personally highly commend both the discipline and calibre of the SANDF members deployed in the CAR. They are true South African heroes and I praise them for conducting themselves valiantly in the face of overwhelming opposition,” he said.
- Brazilian Ocean Patrol Vessel Apa heads for home
- BAE Systems debuts new tactical turrets
- BAE SA making its own opportunity
- Saab receives order for sight and fire control systems from BAE Systems
- ATE South Africa awarded Hawk Design Authority
- Saudi Arabia orders PC-21, Hawk trainers
- BAE SA targets east European upgrade market
- SITNO teams with BAE Systems to offer remote Turret for Tactical Vehicles
- BAE Systems completes payment to Tanzania
- BAE to refurbish 440 Iraqi M113A2 carriers
Pirate attacks in West Africa to double in 2014
by ParamountGroup, 27 November 2013
Paramount Naval Systems is developing a fleet of multi-role patrol vessels to prevent illegal activity and protect assets and territory.
Poynting presents collapsible LPDA tech
by Poynting Antennas, 26 November 2013
Poynting's wire LPDA design, compared to common rigid constructions, makes compact storage and extremely quick deployment possible.
Thales launches Eiji1, suite of secure mobile telecommunications services for professionals
by Thales, 22 November 2013
The mobile telecommunications suite is designed to provide secure, resilient communications for public and private security missions.